27.2.08

Tansvania (Ask Baard)

I have been to a few corners of this fascinating globe we inhabit. I have lived in three countries, visited 4 continents and flown thousands upon thousands of kilometers. But I have never been to Africa. 48 hours from now, after $500 in vaccinations, I will find myself in Arusha, Tanzania...Africa. A place that although vaguely familiar is the most distant place I have ever been to on a multitude of levels. This is going to be a journey of contrast, of discovery, a test of what I can handle when the reality around me for two weeks is so far removed from anything I have ever been exposed to.
I won't be travelling alone and the group from Bildoy is a fantastic blend of individuals who will no doubt make the trip a memorable one. We are traveling via Kenya, which was our original destination. However, due to the unrest in that fine nation we were forced to reroute to neighbouring Tanzania. In the two weeks we will be spending south of the equator we will experience everything from safaris in Serengeti National Park, to a remote missionary hospital, to slums, to soccer tournaments with local youth, to the bustling streets of big time Africa. The tastes, smells, sights and sounds of a continent so vast yet strikingly unfamiliar for so many will tantalize our senses in a way I can't even begin to imagine. It's going to be exciting. Big things have happened at pdotproductions before, but this is huge. Stay tuned. Internet access may be limited, but rest assured that once back in Norway I will have some gems for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip and take good pictures!

Anonymous said...

God tur Per!
Klem fra Gro

Jamie Sparling said...

africa looks sweet bra. dont get eaten by a lion.

I got accepted to the Bergen school of bus and ec. I have paid my deposit and signed the contract. its a go. see you in sept. I am super stoked.