8.2.08

Tele Time!

This past week was spent at the KRIK Hoyfjellssenter with a pile of incredible people from all over the country. It was an incredible week on many fronts, but the definitive highlight was the three days I spent engrossing myself in the delicate art of telemark skiing.
I have always been fascinated with telemark and its graceful movements, physical demands and technical challenge. Although I have spent some time on cross country and downhill skis, the chance to try telemark has always eluded me. When I found out that I had the chance to try telemark this past week I jumped on it with great anticipation.
With some instruction I was given the basic skills I needed to refine my technique and by the end of day three I managed to figure out a couple of key points and everything came together to reveal one of the most magnificent sensations I have ever experienced. I have been convinced that if I am ever going to get good on skis it is going to be on telemark skis. The sheer joy of flowing through the motions involved in this art form are enough to change ones life. The physical challenge also attracts me, as sections that normally would be navigated with little effort on standard skis come alive again with burning thighs and elevated pulse. Additionally, telemark is incredibly versatile with the additional possibility of descending self gained summits in a most natural expression of achievement and freedom.
I have started a new chapter in my life, its going to be a good one...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good fun!